FEAD Optimizer is an installer system that is used to compress installation files into a compact redistributable file.
Command line switches – FEAD Optimizer
- -nos_ne No execution – Extracts the installation files from the Setup utility but does not execute the Setup utility or delete the setup files.
- –nos_nd No delete – Does not remove the setup files after executing the Setup utility. If the -nos_ne switch is also present, the -nos_nd switch is overridden.
- -nos_d Delete – Removes the setup files after executing the Setup utility. If the -nos_ne switch is also present, the -nos_d switch is overridden.
- -nos_s Silent mode – Installs the setup files in silent mode. Installs automatically when using: /s, /S, -s, -S, /q, /Q, -q, -Q.
- -nos_o”<path>” Output folder – The folder to which you want to extract the setup files.
Running the executable with the following command line switches will extract the files from the FEAD archive to a location of your choosing and not execute the setup file.
In this example, the installation files will be extracted to C:\WorkingFolder.
program.exe -nos_ne -nos_o”C:\WorkingFolder”
It is also possible to send parameters to the setup MSI file inside the FEAD archive, for example this command would change the default installation path of an MSI installer.
program.exe -nos_d INSTALLDIR=”C:\Program Files\Install Here”
To run an automated silent install of a contained MSI file use this command
program.exe -nos_d /qb
The command line options work for both version 1 and 2 of the FEAD system
Much of the information for this article was excerpted from:
Download the FEAD Extractor Tool as an optional method to using command line parameters.
Universal Extractor is a program to extract files from any type of archive, a zip file, an installation program, or a Windows Installer (.msi) package.
Common Applications that use the FEAD Optimizer format are;
McAfee VirusScan 8.0i
Netopsystems – FEAD Optimizer, Nosso, NOSLtd, Nos Installer